Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Hyderabad

Hyderabad is located in Andhra Pradesh and was a very interesting city, slightly hilly, reminding me a touch of San Francisco, and is very old and rich in history. The Charminar, a predominantly Muslim area, is completely crowded with people. Charminar is in the center of the city, and was extremely difficult to get to. When I arrived, it was call to prayers. Having never heard it, the song really put me into a completely different feel for India. Everyone I know is Hindu, Jain, Sikh, or some other sect. On this trip, I met many Muslims.

Hyderabad is known for beautiful temples, pearl vendors and strange stone formations which dot the city. Being slightly hilly, and not unlike other old, urban centers, the streets are complicated and extremely crowded for tourists to navigate. I had a driver at all times who never spoke English but a friend helped me to understand the depth and richness of it all. The previous month, Hyderabad opened a new "flyover" which allowed a very quick transit between the airport and areas much closer to where I stayed, the Green Park hotel.

Hyderabad is the farthest south I've been to in India and as such, some of the cuisine is unique to the area, but not nearly as unique as Gujarati food.

No comments: