Monday, October 05, 2009

My road never taken

What I miss a lot

I used to go down to Golden Gate Cycles on Valencia when I was ages 14 through 17 and sit in front of the Triumphs with my sketchbook. I loved it. I loved the chrome, the style, the sound of it. My friend had a Kawasaki and Honda 4. Another friend had a Norton Commando which I loved, but the Triumph, to me, was kindred spirit, so I loved it nonetheless. As I got older, I had the opportunity to ride a Triumph Bonneville and the Norton. I've been given a Honda, a Harley and one day, a friend wanted me to have a Triumph of his which he rebuilt. I so desperately wanted it, but I was forced to make one promise on the condition of marriage: that I would never ride a motorcycle. And so it stands. My love for it stands at a distance, like the sweater that you want so much but will never have, that thin Omega watch that you see, but never can, like that little country on the globe you want to visit, but accept that you may never see. This was the motorcycle of my dreams, where it will forever stay.

No comments: